Saturday, February 05, 2005

Live!!LIVE!!LIVE!! And Coming To A City Near You! - Follow Up I (Sting)

OK, I take it all back... every little bit of critisicm towards Sting. The man is brilliant. He's a legend in his own lunchtime!

I went to his concert yesterday, after much running around to sell my last 2-grand ticket... but still, I enjoyed the concert completely and fully. He(Sting) layed all his favorite songs - ranging from Brand New Day, Fields Of Gold, and Sacred Love to Roxanne, Fragile, and Every Breath You Take. He is fantastic. There is no other word for the man. While others have had thier 15 seconds of fame, this man has lived on, straight from when my dad was as old as me to GenX, and has kept producing exquisite sound. Wave after wave of music, blending in perfectly with the previous note, seemingly chaotic, but fluid and purposeful. All his songs were captivating. His Bass Guitar was ripping the place apart, and his stunning vocals melted through the matter of my mind. That man is like wine - he just gets better and better with age.
His entire stage presence wasn't one of the rock idol, but rather that of the smooth operator, who knew exactly what he was doing, and injecting that little bit of electricity here and there. His entire laid-back yet powerful attidute was quite a change from what Bangalore is used to - what with the likes of The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, and Deep Purple all oozing that adrenaline rush through to everyone.

Now for thee only glitch in the entire concert (Yes Sneha, there always is) - his first song, Brand New Day, started off quite well with the whole guitar riff thing. Then he sang:
How many of you people out there
Been hurt in some kind of love affair
How many tibes you be ab bo ba bop again?

Yes. He lost the line. Completely. But, Sting being Sting, he just went on with the 'Be Bo Ba Ba-Doum' and made it sound so natural, like it was part of the original song. Only if you caught it and looked at his face would you notice the slight grimace on his face at the end of the line. None-the-less, 10 points to him for his cover-up. Well done.

And here come the plus-points:
All his songs were perfect. He didn't try too many stunts on stage, and stuck to the original tune of each andd every song. If you've ever heard his 'All This Time' album, you'll understand the relief I experienced. Roxanne, the song that should never be altered, never was. It was perfect. He stretched it, but in a nice sorta way, not in a 'personal touch' disaster way.
He played Fields Of Gold perfectly. I (along with the rest of the crowd) loved it. And he loved singing it too. You could see it on his face, and hear it in his voice.
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. Should be altered to Every Little Thing He Does Is Magic. It is. The man is a genius.

Sneha, you're absolutely right. He is a fantastic performer. I take back absolutely anything bad that I ever said about him. He is right back on his pedestal as one of my all-time musical Idols.

2 comments:

Aveek said...

Sorry Sneha... i'd have enjoyed goin with you as well, you being a Sting fan too...
I guess I could give you my ticket... :-{... but I still apologise for ever saying sh*t bout Sting.
He is a GOD.

P.S. don't feel that bad... would they have let you go to Mumbai for it anyways??

Aveek said...

yes, the goth phase died out quite some time ago... heh heh... I though everyone had noticed...

P.S. sorry bout the ticket offer then... I'll try an think of something tho... heh heh...