Monday, May 09, 2005

The Return Of The Silver Arrows

No, I'm not talking about some new fad in amazon warfare. I'm talking about West McLaren Mercedes, Kimi Raikkonen, and his mind-blowing pace.
The Spanish circuit (Circuit De Catalunya) saw the comeback of formula-1 giants McLaren-Mercedes - something that wasw coming for some time qith the super-competitive pace of the new McLaren of 2005 from the beginning of the season. Kimi Raikkonen stormed through the length of the 4.62 Km track to come third in the first qualifying session, and then took to the track yet another scorcher during second qualifying to gain pole position, while team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya could only get a mere 7th, though still ahead of the two struggling Ferrraris of Michael Schumacher(8th) and Ruben Barrichello(16th).
As the five red lights went out to start the Spanish Grand Prix, Kimi got of to (yet another) flying start, pulling away from title leader and second-placed Fernando Alonso by a second in the first lap. Kimi leads The Pack

But this wasn't just a one flying lap by Kimi - he kept this blistering pace up through the entire race, moving a second aa lap quicker than Fernando, and two seconds quicker than almost everyone else. His McLaren team-mate JPM, however, had a very interesting race, spinning most mysteriously through turns 7 and 8 but making a fantastic recovery and proceeding to pretend nothing happened at all.
By the first round of pit-stops, Kimi was 26 seconds in fromt of Alonso, which got him into andd out of the pits still ahead of him, though only just. However, Alonso still had to stop for fuel, so Kimi was under no real threat.
By about lap 35 Kimi lapped a most stubborn Barrichello, who almost refused to move over when the Silver Arrow of the Finn shot by him:Kimi Storms Past Barrichello

The other Ferrari had absolutely no luck either, with reigning world champion Michael Schumacher, who was fighting for 8th place with McLaren's JPM, was exiting the pits just as the two Mclarens of JPM and Kimi Raikkonen respectively bored down on the Scuderia Ferrari, Kimi lapping JPM and in the proscess cutting off Schumachers exit, giving JPM the advantage by lettting him follow just behind his team-mate to get the btter of Schumi. Michael was finally beginnig to look good, when he suddenly had to pit for a deflated rear tyre. Things got no better for hime either, as on his outlap while on a quick right hander his front-left Bridgestone also deflated, throing the front of his car into the gravel and severely damaging the under-carraige and the side pods of his Ferrari.Schu Bites the Dust The German ace limped back to the pits to retire shortly afterwards.
By the second round of pit-stops around lap 49, Kimi Raikkonen had stapmed his authority allover the Catalan circuit and over all the cars and their drivers. The last time McLaren had won here was thee hands of another Fying Finn - Mika Hakkinen - and Kimi has kept the Finnish flag flying high.
Kimi has earned his Champagne, and may he win every race there is. All hail the next world-champion!!

11 comments:

Meghna said...

=O

Aveek said...

Very interesting comment, Mia...

Meghna said...

*utter astonishment*

Better?

Aveek said...

Mia: Better... :-p


Nanz: Passion, smasshion. These things are idols of worship!! I'm fine... seems to have been a while, doesn't it...? What bout you...?

Aveek said...

MUHUHOHAHAHA!!! DIE, SCHUMACHER, DIE!!

[/Scoffs at all the Schumi fans... :-) ]

Anonymous said...

ah so the fair weather mclaren fan is back!

i dont remember the support when they were losing bigtime.
i as a ferrari fan for life (perhaps foolishly) made a pact at the start of the season that i would wear my ferrari cap till they win a race.

i wore the cap under my helmet in the river rapids in hrishikesh, under the water, and im wearing it now... im only allowed to take it off when im sleeping/in the bath/wearing my ferrari shirt.

now thats support... even when ferrari is getting their arse whipped left right and center

Aveek said...

Fair weather...? I don't believe that I fal in that category. As for your, uh, ordeal, that, my dear friend, is plain fanaticism. I cannot help it if you have some wierd obsession that borders on the twisted, or that you have no other life, so devoted are you to something that you will never seee, hear from, or be a REAL part of for a very, very long time.

PS, I might be going to to the Shanghai GP if the timing is right...

Anonymous said...

well of course, when mr katiyar talks about his love of mclaren its 'passion' and 'devotion'. yet you never ever for ONCE when we were back in nafl watched a race and cared about mclaren (once they started losing in 2000 this is) before then you were quite 'passionate', oh wait, that was when they were winning. now if that isnt your definition of fair weather, then you need to polish up on your english.

of course, when somebody ELSE is seen to be passionate, that doesnt settle down well with mr. katiyar, now, does it? now thats just insane, its deluded, its some weird obsession.
your way with words is quite fascinating, if it wasnt for the big turds of bullshit around them!

as for me never seeing/watching/being part of a race, ive seen about the same number of live races as you have... wait... thats ZERO. so if im deluded then you pretty much are. while ive watched like every race since 1997... and youve watched... all the ones in the seasons that mclaren have won... thats about 2...

and as for you going to the shanghai GP, well we'll see about that when you actually go.

Aveek said...

Oooohh... have I rubbed Mr. Narayans wrong side...? Its all right sir. Ferrari are allowed to lose - you know that eventually they would not be able to force other teams to change tyre sizes to suit them, or still not b competitive even though they broke the unsaid rule of testing only on weekends... no no, Ferrrari had to bite the dust eventally, and you seem more upset about that.
As for your passion, lets ask anyone around you if they think it qualifies for passion or obsession or lunacy or anything else tht is most certainly not normal. You, sir, seem to fall quite neatly in that category. Sill remember the time wwhen you would fight over what Mr. Potter said in line 48 on page 243 of the 4th HP book, and you would know exactly what happened. I guess for you that would qualify as 'passion', but, most deluded sir, that is obsesssion and indication of a very sad life. You seem to have thee same obsession with Ferrari, and I',m sure that if I ask you who or what won or adanced even before you were born you'd be able to tell me, better than most people who were actually there. Now look at that in retrospect, and ask yourself,"doesn't that sound obsessive?"

As for my watching F-1 when McLaren started winning, you want to critisize me for starting to watch a sport in a particular year? Just because I caught on after you doesn't make me any less a fan than you. Just because you've been watching the sport for longer doesn't mean that you can make statements like "...while ive watched like every race since 1997... and youve watched... all the ones in the seasons that mclaren have won... thats about 2..."
You really wanna compete with someone in that category? I'll call in a friend of mine, who's been whatching it since 1978. Will you shut up then? I doubt it. So don't give me any holier-than-thou horseshit bout you having watched it for longer.
You just seem upset that you're favorite team are LOSING, bigtime.

As for not watching a race in 200 onwards at NAFL, its not that I was not passionate. I wasn't as passsionate then as I am now, but I guesss I'll never be as 'passionate' as you, having watched every race since 1997. A series of eventss amde me misss most of the races that season, and even though you and Himanshu were screaming "Sccuderia Ferrari" in my ears all that season, never did I bad-outh my team, and I kept faith in them, quitely feeling quite smug every time they won. It is a sad co-incidence that they rarely did that saeson, so there wasn't much smugness and joy about McLaren taht year. However, you guys still go on about Ferrari with so much hot air. Would you like me to point out that after Alonso'ss Renault STRUGGLED for grip at Imola, Schumi still couldn't find his way past?? What happened to the great Ferarri then?? As you might have quite uneasily noticed (having watched every race since 1997) Raikkonen was just blowing Alonso away, even at Imola, while Alonso was blowing everyone else away himself.
Just because I wrote this when Kimi won doesn't make me a fair weather-fan. Do you really think that I'd wirte about Ferrari winning...?
McLaren have been extremely quick all saeson anyway - it was just taking a little while in showing the true potential of the 2005 car, but when it showed, it was worth writing about, unlike most Ferrari performances... How often do you see Schumi lapping Raikkonen...? How often do you see Barrichello blowing past Raikkonen on the straits...? How often do you se MS struggling to gain position over JPM (OK, that one is rather debatble, but we'll leave tthat for now...)...?
Just because I don't wear a McLaren cap till my hair feels stuck to my scalp and I start growing my own eco-system there doesn't make me any less a fan than you, sir. In fact, I'm probably a better fan than you are, not having to advertise my choice everywhere I go... not having to try to prove to the world that I really do have ssome sort of life after all. I do not have to prove that I support a team without anyone asking.... I have no need of telling anyone else that I ddo have some thing else to do in life other than study till my balls fall off.

Aveek said...

PS About Shanghai, it all depends on if I got college then... but I'm hoping that I can work it out...!!

Anonymous said...

hey aveek,
how u been? don post this up, jus checked out ure blog....pretty good,but kinda boring topics tho!! well tru im not an F1 fan...!! btw , if ure wondering, this is atisha....mail me sometime at rock_freak16@hotmail.com .....cya