Sunday, December 05, 2004

Our Nerd Fest

Hey, sorry, long time, no blog. Had one really strange week. Anyway, it's over, and I got unit tests tomorrow, which, of course, true to my behaviour, I haven't studied for.
On Friday was our first ever Nerd Fest at Deeksha. And it was a collosal failure!! I know I go there and all, but I can't help this - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
It was the ultimate congregation of all the proudest nerds in the city - and man, even they didn't like it that much. There was the Kumarans contigent, whih was by far th geekiest. And so proud of it too. "Look at me, I encompass all of the knowledge in any text book you show me. I can tell you the distnce from Earth to the Sun, and the DNA constituent of the African Bull Frog, but I can't use common sense to build a torch given a bulb, wires, taape, and a battery pack!" and all this said with great pomp. What total losers.
Then came NPS. No offense to anyone, one of them was my friend an all, but this was the real upsetter - Not even one of the (Two) NPS qualified as one of the final 5 teams! Hmmm... NPS needs to buck up on its mugging techniques.
Then there were a few other schools that came. OK, actually, there were quite a lot. None-the-less, the only thing that went off well was the treasure hunt. It took place after the prelim/elimination round got over, and there was chaos. Just imagine a 1-acre plot nearly completely built up, leaving very little room for recreation, and making you feel rather claustrophobic. Now imagine 120 kids running about it, looking for eight scraps of paper scarcely larger than the thumb on your right hand.
What chaos! And the best part was, I had so much fun encouraging it. Everyone was running about with wierd, rhymin, pentameter clues to figure out, and I just stood in the mmiddle and pretended to not want to give myself away. And then, the instant someone caught me, I'd just send them off on some other tangent which they'd probably come out of after the hunt got over.
The rest of the show, however, was,for lack of a more blurry word, BORING. We just drove forward relentlessly, not caring to take break or anything. The projection system was so ineffective, mainly because it was under a small, badly put up shamiana, and it was boiling. Not to mention the fact that everyone was getting bored to death, because:
a) Points were doled out in 1s and 2s.
b) Because the questions that we(OK, they, not me) had set up were so hard, even the Uber-nerds were finding it hard to get the answers right.

Finally, it ended with the 'Young Inventor' event. I thought of, planned, put together, and organised the entire thing myself(Notice the hint of pride in my, er, voice...?). Here, you were given more than what you need, and you were given a total of 45 minutes to construct a Torchlight, a 2-way switch, and find the focal length of the lenses. OK, so no one expected them to do it in that much time, but jeez, they couldn't even think of a simple solution to the torch!
This just goes to show that no matter how 'good' you are at 'studying', you'll get no where unless you cando something to prove your point. Stupid nerds. During the finale, everyone generally voted that the event was 'irritating' and 'useless'. What total morons. Go squeeze that information out of your head, son. In the near future, they're gonna ban our right to read and refer, so forget the creativity inside you, just MUG! MUG! MUG!
PFFFT. No wonder the world is the way it is...
Orbit my parallel universe! ;-)

No comments: